Wednesday 10 March 2010

19

He fought the anaesthetist and the anaesthetist won

It couldn't have gone better yesterday. Jamie got to drive this motorised car through the hospital corridors and park it at the operating theatre.
This is some mighty strange stuff.

Unable to find any veins in his little hands, he was told to 'blow up the balloon' attached to the anaesthesia tube. Which he did, for an unfeasibly long time. The doctors and nurses were all:

'Umm, Jamie lie down.'

They harvested a large amount of this:
It was probably glittery, and most definitely had Space Debris

The doctor went:
Take that, adenoids!

Back in the ward, he discovered the joys of Xbox for the very first time, and spent six hours doing this:
I don't even know which character I am.

On the way home we stopped at McDonald's so he could have a milkshake. In the car, he said in a panic, 'What's that noise?!' It was:
Birdsong

19 comments:

  1. aww my eyes have welled up *wipes eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! glad everything went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrilled to hear that it all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! Glad he's going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it all went well. Must be a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! A little tear over him hearing birdsong. What a wonderful new life for him.

    And what a lot of begging for XBox now in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh so glad it went well! i know that fear when you leave them with the doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant :) and a little *sniff* at the birdsong bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww Bless. Glad it went well. Enjoy watching his little face light up at new sounds, before his 'selective hearing' kicks in!
    x K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah! Though he had a much better time at the hospital than I remember having. Then again they didn't even have nintendo back then. Dear god I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm, david tennant.....sorry, where was I? Love your selection of pics, hope jamie is feeling better. Amazed they didn't dig out some ryvita crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so lovely Amanda, I'm so happy it's made such a difference to him already. Hope he continues to improve :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok...just read this post...ignore my comment on the Cool Girls' post...sooo happy it all went well!!! what a great feeling it must be to have the operation behind you both and to know that it was successful!!! Hooray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just found your blog from Kims blog and have to say I am so delighted that your little boy can now hear. My daughter has just failed her hearing test and now have the long and agonising wait to see if it will improve by itself.
    I have had a little scroll down some of your posts and I have been in stitches. I love the way you write and the humour you bring to your blog. I can really relate to the over stimulated, sugared up, sleepy child. Been there...
    I am so sorry to hear that you were at deaths door with your tonsilitus. It must have been very worrying for you. I do hope that everyone rallied round to help you in your hour of need. Seriously though, I had a bad bought of it last year and was not impressed. Funny how things we just dealt with as a child are so painful as an adult.
    Glad you are feeling better.
    Well I have rambled too much.
    Have fun,
    Rachael XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad it all went well, didn't know glitter glue came in that size pack. *sniff* over the birdsong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - how very very exciting. I hope it unlocks things for him. K x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful. The last line made me cry ♥

    ReplyDelete