Thursday 9 June 2011

13

Yes, Cinderella, you will go to the ball. In a Couch-printed Dress

bird therapy party frock front

I was asked by my friend Justine to make a dress for her daughter to attend a special ball last weekend. Like all of my friends (see a theme here?), Justine has great taste in fabric.

bird therapy party frock detail

As part of the fabric-picking brief, Justine was worried that people tend to 'baby' her daughter so we wanted something that wasn't at all juvenile. This amazing Bird Therapy print certainly fits the bill; it's cool enough to grab attention but not of the 'OMG Bless Her Cotton Socks' variety.

bird therapy party frock- reverse front

For the reverse I used a turquoise poplin and a green sash. Again, colours that one might not place together automatically but that totally rock once combined. I made the skirt of the printed sided ever so slightly longer so it peeks at the hem, almost like a trim.

bird therapy party frock- reverse back

And finally a big fat bow to the back, and a matching green button.

13 comments:

  1. Debbie (monkey and bo)9 June 2011 at 11:40

    I love this dress! the fabric is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that is just the cutest ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG It's amazing colours work perfectly together and the print definitely is not girly. Stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I just love this print in this colorway. What a lovely dress! My couch dress is my favorite to wear, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! The fabric colors together and so great with so much pop. I'm going to break down and buy that pattern as soon as I can cook up an occasion for a party dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable fabric and dress. I think I'd love that fabric on a skirt for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the fabrics go great together! Beautiful dress!

    Andrea
    www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! I love that it's reversible! Love the couch print :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, I love the colour combination of the turqoise and the pink. Very fun and sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like that it is reversible and cool colours! didn't think that a couch print could be made into a frock

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazinf fabric, where on earth do you find them? (rhetorical question, I understand you'd have to kill me if you told me your secrets)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd have never thought of using couch fabric for a dress. Genius!

    ReplyDelete